All Reception children will have a partnership book in which information and small homework tasks relating to topics will be stuck. Homework is not set each week but as and when we feel it will enhance our teaching at school.
Your child will receive a sound book when we start teaching phonics in class.
- Please use the phonics book with your child and encourage them to learn the sounds in their book.
- Practice recognising and writing the letters with the correct formation. Please use the attached documents to help you with phonics and letter formation.
- Click on the link to see how we form our letters correctly. Letter formation
You child will receive their first reading book in line with their phonic development.
- When children are starting to blend, they will be given a reading book without words, this enables children to learn the skill of using picture clues to predict what is happening to the characters, how are they feeling and what may happen on the next page.
- Your child will then receive a book with words. We encourage you to talk to your child about what they have read, ask them questions and to predict what might happen next. All of this will help to develop your child’s understanding of the books they are reading.
- When your child can write the letters from memory with the correct formation, they will bring home high frequency words to learn. Please help your child to read them by sight and to write these words from memory.
- We love to hear of any achievements or mile stones your child has reached. For example, ‘I can do up my buttons by myself’ to ‘I can swim 10m’ or if you have had an exciting weekend or holiday.
- Please email a picture or write on a ‘My news’ sheet, which you will find on our little white table.